Sunday, May 31, 2015

Book Review - 'Re-educating Racehorses'

I spend so much time these days writing about ex-racehorses, as well as actually doing things with them, that I confess I don't seem to get much time for reading. So, I've only just discovered this book, even though it was published in 2012.

 'Re-educating Racehorses' , by Fred Cook and  Rowena Jane Simmonds

I have to say I really enjoyed it. Sometimes I get cross, reading, or listening to, people telling me how they do things ( and often, how their way is the best/only way.) We all develop our own methods of working with our horses ( and dogs), building a relationship, and getting the best out of them. I really do believe there are many ways up the mountain, and if it works, it works. But I also have to admit that, in my experience anyway, horses ( and dogs) are a never-ending learning-curve. There is always something new to try.

So I was very pleased to discover that a) 'Fred and Rowena' talk a lot of common sense, clearly based on a lot of direct personal experience, that I didn't feel called on to argue with at all, and b) that they also came up with suggestions I've not tried before and sound like good ideas.

The book is written in a clear, accessible style, with some nice humourous touches as well, of course, as lots of useful information. It covers the timeline from a horse being in training, and the physical and mental issues of its lifestyle there, to sourcing and ex-racehorse, the first few days in a new, non-racing home, and measures to help the ex-racer adapt to its new life and job. These include in-hand exercises and the sort of simple schooling that are vital in the early days, going on to tackling jumping poles later on. Everything is explained clearly, with useful illustrations.

There are also some lovely photos of the horses themselves. My favourite is one of the amazing Brave Inca, at an ex-racer parade with his 'new Mum' in showing gear and his former jockey, AP McCoy, in the famous green-and-gold hooped racing colours. Both humans had achieved so much with this great horse, and both clearly thought the world of him.

I found this book both informative and entertaining – even, in places, rather touching. I can certainly recommend it. It's available in hardback, paperback, and kindle formats, so whatever your preference you can give it a go.

No comments: