Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Books on Ex-racehorse Retraining and Rehabilitation

Compared with other areas of horsemanship, there are surprisingly few reference books available on the retraining and rehabilitation of retire racehorses. ( Though I'm working on it !)

The two main ones are:

Buying and Reschooling Ex-racehorses by Christopher and Victoria Coldrey

The Coldreys are acknowledged experts on breaking and schooling horses, as well as running their own successful race training yard. In this book they pack their wealth of expertise into 112 pages, illustrated with both diagrams and photographs. They cover everything from 'Finding Your Horse' ( where to look, what to consider and discount), then the early stages of retraining, and through to pole-work and riding away. The Coldreys are strong advocates of loose schooling, and give a detailed account of how it works with ex-racers. The book is full of helpful detail and sound common sense, and is a source of encouragement when you and your ex-racer have just had another set-back. ( I know !)


Reschooling the Thoroughbred: How to Buy and Retrain a Racehorse by Peggy Jett Pittenger

I have to confess I haven't read this one myself - it's not in the bookshops, and with a pricetag of £88.25 ( around $120 ) my local library refused to buy it in ! Still, you can sometimes hit lucky and pick up a cheaper copy on Amazon. Reader reviews are mixed. Some say it's great, and packed full of helpful information. Others say it has little new to offer to those who already know thoroughbreds. But then, many people don't - but want to learn ! Next time I come across a bargain copy I shall buy it for myself, anyway - on the grounds that there's always more to be learnt and, with my memory, I need regular reminders in any case !

No comments: