Saturday, April 26, 2008

Decisions, decisions......


I wasn't there for the vetting. I couldn't leave work. But the Nice Vet Lady called me afterwards and gave a full verbal report.

Dara was a sweet horse, she said ( accurate, if not very clinical), and she thought 'he would respond well to being a one-person horse' - as opposed to one of many in a professional racing yard. His conformation and general condition were good, though he was a little underweight and immature for his age. He had good sound feet, with no signs of problems. She noted he had very tight , even sore, muscles over his back behind the saddle area, which was puzzling considering he'd been turned out to grass all summer.

And then came the big Buts. There was a bony lump inside the right hind fetlock below the joint in the pastern. It may not be significant, she said ( just as I thought) - but ' in a young horse it's rather worrying'. Ohhhh......
When moving, he turned in slightly with his right foreleg (and it WAS slight - certainly not plaiting) -but it indicated uneven weight-bearing. He moved very close, almost brushing with his feet, especially at trot and especially behind. Indeed, she was not happy with his hind movement at all, especially on his right side. His flexion tests had been fine, and he'd turned well enough - but there was a something that was not quite as it should be. Of course, some of it could be down to physical immaturity.....She was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - to some extent. But I might find it hard, she said, to get insurance cover for veterinary fees.

In short, she concluded ( and was to follow it up in her written certificate) - in her opinion, Dara's 'noted conditions' were, 'on the balance of probabilities, likley to prejudice his use for general riding.' Eeekkk!
She advised me not to buy him. Double-eeekk.

This was devastating news. After all, I was in love - Dara was The One. What to do ? I contacted all my horsey friends and asked for advice. They all said something different. It ranged from the comforting 'he'll grow out of it' to the 'not with a bargepole!' line. I was still dithering when Dara's owner phoned me, wanting to know the results, and my decision. I blurted out the findings. The owner was offended. 'He's never been unsound, never had the slightest problem !' he assured me. He also reminded me that someone else had already asked for Dara if I didn't want him. Eventually - because I couldn't let go - he offered a small refund ( £250) if Dara proved to be unsound from his back or hind leg defects after six months. Take it or leave it.

I'd paid £200 for a veterinary examination and the vet's advice. Was I to totally ignore it ?

No comments: